If you have Office Communications Server 2007 there’s a new must have tool for you: OCS powerpack for PowerGUI just posted by Curtis Johnstone: it is free, totally based on PowerShell (you can see the PowerShell code behind each and every node, link, or action), and has a lot of functionality not present in the native OCS MMC. Just see the console tree screenshot to the left!
Here’s a quick walkthough of the key features of the pack:
View and Provision OCS settings on users:
- View all AD details for OCS users
- Use canned filters to quickly view which users are enabled /disabled for key OCS functionality.
- Enable/Disable key OCS functionality (e.g. Public IM)
- Email OCS Assigned and Unassigned Users
Remotely View key Edge settings (from an OCS Administrative Tool or Front-End computer), including:
- Internal and External Edge server settings
- Federated Partners and Federated Public IM Network Settings
- Can use Alternate Credentials to access Edge role
Easily access and view all OCS Global Settings in one location, including:
- Enterprise Voice and Meeting Settings and Policies,
- Location Profiles,
- Normalization Rules,
On any local OCS machine:
- View and Control OCS Services
- View OCS specific Event Log Errors and Warnings
- Provision Address Book settings that not available in the OCS Administrative console
And a few more screenshots to keep you excited:
- Allows the administrator to see key UC and Enterprise Voice Global Settings in customizable views.
- Can easily generate reports through PowerGUI
- Allows quick customizable views and reporting of OCS enabled users and all pertinent OCS properties.
- Default Filters to quickly see which users are provisioning for certain OCS features (e.g. Federation, Public IM, etc…)
- Additional links to get Voice, Meeting and AD details for any user(s).
- Actions are available to provision basic OCS features (e.g. Remote Access, Public IM, …)
Edge and Federation
- Easily see all important edge and federation configuration settings in one tree.
- All internal and external IP addresses and ports are shown.
- All federation settings including partners and remote edge server peers.
- Avoids having to remote into the Edge server and start the Edge server Administrative console to see this information.
- Certificate information to be added in the future.
- See which servers and their corresponding roles are installed in your OCS deployment.
- For the local OCS Server (soon to be any OCS server), see OCS specific Service information and Event Log information and take actions.
- View Address Book settings and take actions that are not available through the native OCS Administration console.
Installed OCS Server Roles:
OCS Specific Services and Event Log Entries and Actions:
Address Book Information and Actions:
This is the most amazing example of the community work I have ever seen. Curtis took the PowerShell scripts which James O’Neill and others created for the Microsoft® Office Communications Server 2007 Resource Kit companion CD, enhanced them, plugged them into PowerGUI and made them available for everyone else to use (and enhance further ;))
You can download the OCS PowerPack here. By the way, please do leave your comments for Curtis at the powerpack page – I know he is anxious to hear some feedback!