Let’s continue to look into the new features of PowerGUI 1.8.
Today’s spotlight is on PowerPack management (File / Manage PowerPacks dialog box):
As you can see, the dialog box:
- Displays information about each PowerPack – including a link to the pack’s web-site (if you are a PowerPack creator – here’s how you can promote your blog or your company),
- Lets you check for a newer version of the pack (if the pack creator chose to provide a link) and upgrade to it,
- Obviously lets you uninstall a PowerPack or import a new one,
- Gives PowerPack creators a handy way to edit pack properties and export a newer version.
For users this means:
- Easier way to uninstall a pack,
- Ability to check for newer version and upgrade to it,
- More information including the pack description, version, and link to the author’s web site.
ForPowerPacks’ authors (which can be any of you!) the whole PowerPack creation and maintenance got easier as well:
- You create a new PowerPack much like you did before – by right-clicking a folder in PowerGUI left-hand tree and choosing Create New PowerPack,
- Then you can specify all the attributed of the PowerPack – including the new ones such as the URL of your home page and URL of the place where the .powerpack file will be hosted (can be our library at PowerGUI.org or any other site such as your internal SharePoint portal),
- You keep working on the pack, changing its elements, adding new ones and so on (all nodes, links, actions now list PowerPacks with which they are associated in their Properties / More),
- And export a newer version from PowerPack Management dialog box.